A study showed that most car insurance customers have purchased from the same company for over three years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never compared rates to find affordable insurance. Consumers in Oklahoma can cut their rates by almost $550 a year just by comparing rates, but they don’t want to spend time to compare rates online.
If you want to save the most money, the best way to get cheaper auto insurance rates is to compare prices at least once a year from insurance carriers that sell auto insurance in Oklahoma City. Rates can be compared by following these steps.
- Step 1: Gain an understanding of the different coverages in a policy and the things you can control to lower rates. Many risk factors that cause high rates like accidents, careless driving, and a bad credit score can be improved by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes. Continue reading for more details to prevent high rates and earn larger discounts.
- Step 2: Request rate estimates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only quote rates from a single company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agents can quote rates from multiple insurance companies.
- Step 3: Compare the quotes to your current policy premium and see if there is a cheaper rate. If you find a lower rate and decide to switch, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
- Step 4: Provide adequate notice to your current company to cancel your existing policy. Submit the completed application along with a down payment to your new agent or company. As soon as you can, place your new proof of insurance certificate in your glove compartment.
An essential thing to point out is to compare the same deductibles and limits on each quote and to quote with every company you can. Doing this helps ensure an apples-to-apples comparison and a complete rate analysis.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD||$1,446||$723||$121|
|Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 4WD||$1,446||$723||$121|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab ST 4WD||$1,432||$716||$119|
|Ford Escape Limited 4WD||$1,238||$619||$103|
|Ford F-150 Lariat Super Cab 2WD||$1,358||$679||$113|
|Ford Focus S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,288||$644||$107|
|Honda Accord EX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,118||$559||$93|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 2WD||$1,152||$576||$96|
|Honda Civic LX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,608||$804||$134|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 4WD||$1,446||$723||$121|
|Jeep Wrangler Sport Islander Package 4WD 2-Dr||$1,202||$601||$100|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 2-Dr Coupe||$1,606||$803||$134|
|Toyota Camry LE||$1,322||$661||$110|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$1,410||$705||$118|
|Toyota RAV4 4WD||$1,322||$661||$110|
|Get Rate Quotes for Your Vehicle Go|
Data based on married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Oklahoma minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and homeowner. Premium amounts do not factor in zip code location which can lower or raise premium rates considerably.
How to lower your insurance prices
Multiple criteria are taken into consideration when you get a price on insurance. Most are fairly basic such as your driving history, but other factors are not quite as obvious such as whether you are married or how safe your car is. The best way to find cheaper insurance is to take a look at the rating factors that are used to determine your policy premiums. If you have a feel for what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that can help you get lower premium levels.
Add-on coverages can waste money – There are many extra add-on coverages you can purchase if you aren’t careful. Coverage for things like personal injury protection, accident forgiveness, and additional equipment coverage are probably not needed. These may sound like a good investment when discussing your needs, but if you’ve never needed them in the past remove them from your policy.
Insure car and home with the same company – Most major insurers afford discounts to insureds that have more than one policy such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Even with this discount applied, you still need to compare other rates to help guarantee you have the best rates.
Teen drivers cost more – Older drivers are more responsible, tend to cause fewer accidents, and are safer drivers. Young drivers have been known to be inattentive when behind the wheel so insurance rates are higher.
Liability insurance is critical – Your insurance policy’s liability coverage is the protection when you are ruled to be at fault for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. Your liability coverage provides legal defense coverage up to the limits shown on your policy. This coverage is relatively inexpensive compared to comp and collision, so do not skimp.
Drive lots and pay more – Driving more miles annually the more it will cost to insure it. The majority of insurers calculate rates based on their usage. Autos that are left in the garage can get a lower rate than those used for commuting. Make sure your insurance coverage is showing the correct usage, because it can save money.
More stress means more cost – Occupational choices like military personnel, social workers, and accountants generally have the highest rates due to intense work situations and lots of time spent away from family. Other careers such as professors, students and performers receive lower rates.
What is the best car insurance company in Oklahoma?
Selecting a highly-rated insurer can be rather challenging considering how many choices there are in Oklahoma. The information displayed below could help you pick which insurers you want to consider shopping prices with.
Top 10 Oklahoma City Car Insurance Companies by A.M. Best Rank
- Travelers – A++
- USAA – A++
- GEICO – A++
- State Farm – A++
- Titan Insurance – A+
- Esurance – A+
- Progressive – A+
- The Hartford – A+
- Allstate – A+
- Nationwide – A+
Top 10 Oklahoma City Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Claims Service
- State Farm
- Liberty Mutual
- American Family
- Titan Insurance
- AAA Insurance
Cheaper car insurance is a realistic goal
We just covered quite a bit of information on how to compare car insurance rates in Oklahoma City. The key concept to understand is the more price quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even be surprised to find that the biggest savings come from a lesser-known regional company. Smaller companies may cover specific market segments cheaper than their larger competitors like Allstate, GEICO and Progressive.
As you quote Oklahoma City car insurance, you should never skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. In many instances, an accident victim reduced collision coverage to discover at claim time they didn’t have enough coverage. The goal is to buy enough coverage at a price you can afford while not skimping on critical coverages.
Some insurance providers may not provide online quoting and most of the time these small insurance companies sell through independent agencies. Affordable car insurance in Oklahoma City can be found on the web as well as from independent agents in Oklahoma City, so you should be comparing quotes from both so you have a total pricing picture.
More information is available at these links:
- Vehicle Insurance (Wikipedia)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for a 20 Year Old Female in Oklahoma City? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Oklahoma City Car Insurance Rates for 4×4 Vehicles? (FAQ)
- How Much is Oklahoma City Car Insurance for Veterans? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for 18 Year Olds in Oklahoma City? (FAQ)
- What Determines the Price of My Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Child Safety Seats (Insurance Information Institute)
- Collision Insurance Coverage (Nationwide)
- New vehicle ratings focus on headlights (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)