It’s an obvious statement that auto insurance companies don’t want customers comparing rates. Drivers who shop around for better prices are likely to switch car insurance companies because they have good chances of finding a more affordable policy. A recent survey discovered that drivers who routinely shopped around saved over $72 a month compared to those who never shopped around for better prices.
If finding budget-friendly insurance is your ultimate target, understanding how to find and compare coverages can help you succeed in finding affordable rates.
The preferred way to find affordable car insurance rates is to compare quotes once a year from insurance carriers in Oklahoma City.
- Take a few minutes and learn about what is in your policy and the things you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many things that result in higher prices like speeding tickets, careless driving and an unfavorable credit rating can be rectified by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes. This article gives additional ideas to prevent expensive rate increases and find discounts that may have been missed.
- Get rate quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give rate quotes from one company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agencies can provide price quotes for a wide range of companies.
- Compare the new rates to your existing coverage to determine if switching companies saves money. If you can save some money, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
- Give proper notification to your current agent or company of your intention to cancel your existing policy. Submit any necessary down payment along with the completed application to your new insurance company. Immediately upon receiving it, place your new certificate of insurance along with the vehicle’s registration papers.
One key aspect when comparing rates is that you use identical limits and deductibles on every price quote and and to get price estimates from as many different companies as possible. Doing this helps ensure the most accurate price comparison and the best price selection.
Locating the most cost-effective auto insurance policy in Oklahoma City is much easier if you know where to start. If you have coverage now, you should be able to find the best rates using the ideas covered in this article. Drivers just have to use the most time-saving way to compare company rates online from multiple companies.
Cheapest companies for Mercury Montego insurance
The companies shown below offer free rate quotes in Oklahoma City, OK. If the list has multiple companies, we recommend you visit two to three different companies to get the cheapest price.
Cheap Oklahoma City car insurance rates with discounts
Car insurance companies don’t necessarily list their entire list of discounts in an easy-to-find place, so the next list breaks down some of the more common and also the more inconspicuous discounts that may be available.
- Policy Bundle Discount – When you combine your auto and home insurance with one insurance company they may give you a discount of at least 10% off all policies.
- Professional Memberships – Participating in a professional or civic organization can get you a small discount when shopping for car insurance.
- Drivers Education – Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them take driver’s ed class in school or through a local driver safety program.
- Discount for Swiching Early – Some insurance companies provide a discount for signing up before your current expiration date. You can save around 10% with this discount.
- Defensive Driving Course – Taking part in a course that instructs on driving safety can save you 5% or more and easily pay for the cost of the class.
- Waiver for an Accident – Not necessarily a discount, but companies like Allstate and GEICO will let one accident slide without raising rates if your claims history is clear before the accident.
- Full Payment Discount – By making one initial payment rather than paying monthly you may have a lower total premium amount.
- Military Rewards – Having an actively deployed family member can result in better premium rates.
- Good Student – Getting good grades can get you a discount of up to 25%. The discount lasts up to age 25.
We need to note that most discount credits are not given to your bottom line cost. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. Despite the appearance that all those discounts means the company will pay you, it doesn’t quite work that way.
If you would like to view insurers that provide some of the discounts listed above in Oklahoma, click here to view.
What Determines Mercury Montego Insurance Premiums?
Part of the auto insurance buying process is learning some of the elements that help determine your auto insurance rates. If you have a feel for what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this allows you to make educated decisions that will entitle you to lower auto insurance prices. Lots of things are used in the calculation when quoting car insurance. Some of the criteria are obvious such as your driving history, but some are not as apparent such as your marital status or your financial responsibility.
The following are a few of the things that factor into your prices.
- Obey driving laws and save – Having just one moving violation could increase your next policy renewal by twenty percent. Drivers who don’t get tickets have lower premiums as compared to those with violations. Drivers who have dangerous violations like reckless driving or DUI may face state-mandated requirements to maintain a SR-22 with the DMV in their state in order to prevent a license revocation.
- What’s your car’s crash test rating? – Vehicles that have high safety ratings cost less to insure. Safer cars result in less severe injuries and fewer serious injuries means lower claim amounts and cheaper rates on your policy. If your Mercury Montego has at least an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website or four stars on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website it is probably cheaper to insure.
- Cheaper to insure females? – Over the last 50 years, statistics have shown that females tend to be a little less risky than males. However, this does not mean females are better drivers. Both sexes tend to get into accidents in similar percentages, but the men have costlier accidents. They also get ticketed for serious violations such as reckless driving.
- Additional coverages that may be costing you – Policies have extra add-on coverages that sound like a good idea at the time if you don’t pay attention. Things like rental car coverage, high-cost glass coverage, and Farm Bureau memberships may not be needed and are just wasting money. These coverages may sound good when buying your policy, but if you don’t need them think about removing them and cutting costs.
- Getting married is a bonus – Your spouse actually saves money when shopping for auto insurance. It usually means you are more mature it has been statistically shown that being married results in fewer claims.
- Your location is a factor – Residing in less populated areas has definite advantages when buying auto insurance. Fewer drivers and short commutes means less chance of accidents in addition to fewer liability claims. People who live in big cities have more aggressive driving styles and more time behind the wheel. Higher commute times statistically corresponds to a higher accident and claim rate.
- High credit saves on auto insurance – A driver’s credit score is a large factor in your rate calculation. Drivers who have good credit tend to be more responsible and file fewer claims than drivers with worse credit. Therefore, if your credit is lower than you’d like, you could potentially save money when insuring your Mercury Montego by spending a little time repairing your credit.
Do I need special coverages?
Keep in mind that when it comes to choosing your policy, there isn’t really a “best” method to buy coverage. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs and your policy should reflect that.
These are some specific questions might point out whether or not you might need an agent’s assistance.
- Does rental coverage apply when I am renting a car?
- Should I rate my Mercury Montego as pleasure use or commute?
- What happens if I owe more than my Mercury Montego is worth?
- Why am I required to buy high-risk coverage?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
- How much liability coverage do I need in Oklahoma?
- How can I find cheaper teen driver insurance?
- Do I get a pro-rated refund if I cancel my policy early?
- Can I get by with minimal medical coverage if I have good health insurance?
- What is GAP insurance?
If you’re not sure about those questions but one or more may apply to you then you might want to talk to an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can help protect your family.
Local agents and auto insurance
Many people prefer to buy from a licensed agent and that is OK! Experienced insurance agents will help you protect your assets and help submit paperwork. An additional benefit of comparing rates online is that you can obtain cheap auto insurance quotes and also buy local.
By using this short form, your information is immediately sent to agents in your area who can give free rate quotes for your auto insurance coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to leave your computer as quotes are delivered to you directly. If you need to compare prices from a particular provider, you just need to navigate to their website and fill out their quote form.
Selecting an company shouldn’t rely on just a cheap price. Here are some questions to ask:
- Can glass claims be handled at your home?
- Do they have adequate Errors and Omissions coverage? This protects you if they make a mistake.
- Does the company have a solid financial rating?
- Will the company cover a rental car if your car is getting fixed?
- Do they see any coverage gaps in your plan?
- Will the quote change when the policy is issued?
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
If you’re trying to find a local Oklahoma City insurance agent, you should know the different agency structures and how they can service your needs differently. Insurance agencies in Oklahoma City can be classified as either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive. Both types can properly insure your vehicles, but it’s important to know the difference between them because it can factor into your agent selection.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive agencies can only provide pricing for a single company like State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. Exclusive agents cannot place coverage with different providers so always compare other rates. Exclusive insurance agents are highly trained in insurance sales which aids in selling service over price. Drivers often buy from exclusive agents mainly due to the brand legacy instead of buying on price only.
Shown below are Oklahoma City exclusive agents who may provide you with rate quotes.
- Becky Stevens – State Farm Insurance Agent
7105 W Hefner Rd – Oklahoma City, OK 73162 – (405) 722-0004 – View Map
- David Hoffhines – State Farm Insurance Agent
6444 Northwest Expy #450 – Oklahoma City, OK 73132 – (405) 787-1111 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Eva Herrera
2519 NW 23rd St #140 – Oklahoma City, OK 73107 – (405) 301-8162 – View Map
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent agencies can sell policies from many different companies so they have the ability to put coverage with a variety of different insurance companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. To transfer your coverage to a different company, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you stay with the same agent. When shopping rates, you need to get rate quotes from a couple of independent agencies to get the most accurate price comparison. Most independent agents also contract with companies you’ve never heard of which may provide better rates.
The following is a list of independent agencies in Oklahoma City who can help you get price quote information.
- Knight’s Insurance Agency
3825 NW 23rd St – Oklahoma City, OK 73107 – (405) 946-0111 – View Map
- Premier Insurance
3232 W Britton Rd # 150 – Oklahoma City, OK 73120 – (405) 285-4040 – View Map
1225 W Britton Rd – Oklahoma City, OK 73114 – (405) 842-2377 – View Map
Be persistent and save
We just covered many ideas to find cheaper Mercury Montego insurance in Oklahoma City. The key concept to understand is the more companies you get car insurance rates for, the better your chances of lowering your car insurance rates. Consumers could even find that the lowest rates are with the smaller companies. They often have lower car insurance rates on specific markets than the large multi-state companies such as GEICO and State Farm.
Lower-priced Mercury Montego insurance in Oklahoma City can be purchased both online and from local agencies, and you should compare rates from both to get a complete price analysis. A few companies may not provide the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these smaller companies only sell through independent agents.
More detailed auto insurance information is available in the articles below:
- How to Avoid Common Accidents (State Farm)
- Who Has Cheap Oklahoma City Car Insurance Quotes for Lyft Drivers? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Ride Shares in Oklahoma City? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Oklahoma City Auto Insurance for Good Students? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Drivers Over Age 50 in Oklahoma City? (FAQ)
- Child Safety Seats (Insurance Information Institute)
- Can I Drive Legally without Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Auto Theft Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)