If you want to save money, the best way to save on car insurance rates is to compare prices at least once a year from different companies who sell auto insurance in Oklahoma City.
First, get a basic knowledge of coverages and the modifications you can make to prevent high rates. Many policy risk factors that drive up the price like accidents, careless driving, and a poor credit rating can be rectified by paying attention to minor details. Continue reading for instructions to get cheaper coverage and get discounts that may be available to you.
Second, obtain price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive and direct companies can only give prices from a single company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agents can quote rates from multiple companies.
Third, compare the new rates to your existing rates to determine if you can save on Clarity insurance. If you find a lower rate and make a switch, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
Fourth, tell your current company to cancel your current policy and submit a down payment along with a signed application to the newly selected company. When you receive it, put the proof of insurance paperwork in an accessible location in your vehicle.
The most important part of shopping around is that you’ll want to make sure you compare the same amount of coverage on every price quote and to quote with as many different insurance providers as possible. Doing this enables an apples-to-apples comparison and the best price selection.
A recent car insurance study revealed that most car insurance buyers have purchased from the same company for over three years, and almost half have never shopped around. With the average premium in Oklahoma being $1,780, drivers can cut their rates by nearly $551 a year just by comparing rates, but they feel it’s too difficult to shop their coverage around.
If you already have coverage, you stand a good chance to be able to reduce premiums using the concepts you’re about to learn. Finding the cheapest car insurance coverage in Oklahoma City is quite easy if you know the best way to do it. Although Oklahoma vehicle owners can benefit from knowing the way insurance companies calculate their prices.
Many insurance companies make it easy to get prices direct online. The process is quite simple as you just type in your personal and coverage information into the form. After the form is submitted, the quote system collects your driving and credit reports and returns a price. This makes comparing rates easy, and it’s also necessary to have as many quotes as possible in order to get the best rate.
To compare rates now, compare rate quotes from the providers shown below. If you have a policy now, it’s recommended that you enter the limits and deductibles as shown on your current policy. This makes sure you will have a price comparison for similar coverage.
The following companies are ready to provide price quotes in Oklahoma City, OK. If more than one company is shown, we recommend you visit several of them to get the best price comparison.
Why you need to buy insurance
Despite the potentially high cost of Honda Clarity insurance, insurance is required in Oklahoma but it also protects you in many ways.
- Most states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability insurance in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Oklahoma these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Honda Clarity with a loan, almost all lenders will make it a condition of the loan that you have insurance to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If you let the policy lapse, the bank will be required to insure your Honda at a significantly higher premium and require you to fork over the higher price.
- Insurance protects not only your Honda Clarity but also your financial assets. Insurance will also pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also covers legal expenses if you are sued as the result of an accident. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, collision and comprehensive coverages will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of insuring your car more than offset the price you pay, particularly for liability claims. According to a 2015 survey, the average American driver is wasting up to $869 every year so shop around at every policy renewal to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Cheap Oklahoma City car insurance quotes with discounts
Not many people think insurance is cheap, but there are discounts available to help offset the cost. A few discounts will be applied when you get a quote, but some may not be applied and must be inquired about before you get the savings.
- Military Deployment Discount – Being on active duty in the military may lower your premium rates slightly.
- Air Bag Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags can receive discounts of 20 to 30 percent.
- Accident Forgiveness Coverage – Not a discount per se, but certain companies may permit one accident before hitting you with a surcharge so long as you are claim-free before the accident.
- Anti-theft Discount – Cars with anti-theft systems are stolen with less frequency and earn discounts up to 10% off your Oklahoma City car insurance quote.
- Data Collection Discounts – Insureds who allow their insurance company to spy on driving habits by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as Drivewise from Allstate or Snapshot from Progressive might get better premium rates if they have good driving habits.
Just know that most credits do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. Just because you may think it’s possible to get free car insurance, you won’t be that lucky. Any amount of discount should help reduce your policy premiums.
If you would like to see a list of companies that have a full spectrum of discounts in Oklahoma, click here to view.
When should I discuss my situation with an agent?
When quoting and comparing the best insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a cookie cutter policy. Everyone’s needs are different.
For instance, these questions may help you determine if your insurance needs will benefit from professional help.
- What is the premium to book value ratio for dropping full coverage?
- How long can I keep a teen driver on my policy?
- Do I need PIP (personal injury protection) coverage in Oklahoma?
- Does insurance cover tools stolen from my truck?
- I don’t drive much so do I pay less?
- Do I have coverage for damage caused while driving under the influence?
- What can I do if my company denied a claim?
- Is my nanny covered when driving my vehicle?
- Can my babysitter drive my car?
If you can’t answer these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you might consider talking to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form.
Can’t I compare rate quotes from local Oklahoma City car insurance agents?
Some people still like to go talk to an agent and that is OK! The biggest benefit of comparing rates online is that you can obtain cheap rate quotes but still work with a licensed agent.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this short form, your insurance data is emailed to participating agents in Oklahoma City who will give you quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to find an agent on your own since rate quotes are delivered straight to your inbox. You can find the lowest rates AND a local agent. In the event you want to compare prices from one company in particular, you just need to jump over to their website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Deciding on an insurer should include more criteria than just the premium amount. A good agent in Oklahoma City will have answers to these questions.
- Do they have cheaper tiers of coverage?
- Will the agent help in case of a claim?
- Can glass claims be handled at your home?
- If you have an accident, are you able to get your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice?
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- How long have they been in business?
If you are searching for a local Oklahoma City insurance agent, it’s important to understand the different agency structures and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Agencies in Oklahoma City may be either independent agents or exclusive agents.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agents
Agents in the exclusive channel work for only one company and some examples include American Family, State Farm, and AAA. Exclusive agents are unable to provide other company’s prices so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive insurance agents are usually quite knowledgeable in insurance sales and that can be a competitive advantage.
Below are Oklahoma City exclusive insurance agencies that are able to give price quote information.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agencies do not write with just one company so they have the ability to put coverage with lots of companies and get the cheapest rates. To transfer your coverage to a different company, they can switch companies in-house which makes it simple for you. If you need lower rates, we highly recommend that you include a few independent agents in order to compare the most rates.
Below is a list of independent insurance agencies in Oklahoma City who can help you get rate quotes.
Upon receiving reasonable responses to any questions you have as well as an affordable premium quote, you’ve probably found an insurance agency that meets the criteria to adequately provide car insurance.
Car insurance coverage breakdown
Learning about specific coverages of your car insurance policy can help you determine appropriate coverage for your vehicles. The coverage terms in a policy can be impossible to understand and nobody wants to actually read their policy.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage
Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle when the “other guys” do not carry enough liability coverage. It can pay for medical payments for you and your occupants and damage to your Honda Clarity.
Since a lot of drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (Oklahoma limits are 25/50/25), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family.
Collision coverage protection
This coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage resulting from colliding with an object or car. A deductible applies then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage protects against claims like damaging your car on a curb, sustaining damage from a pot hole and colliding with a tree. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so consider dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. It’s also possible to choose a higher deductible on your Clarity to save money on collision insurance.
Medical payments coverage and PIP
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP kick in for immediate expenses like pain medications, dental work and nursing services. They are often used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance plan or if you lack health insurance entirely. Coverage applies to you and your occupants in addition to if you are hit as a while walking down the street. Personal Injury Protection is not an option in every state but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
This coverage covers damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You first must pay your deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things such as damage from flooding, hail damage and theft. The maximum amount a car insurance company will pay at claim time is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle’s value is low consider dropping full coverage.
Coverage for liability
Liability coverage protects you from injuries or damage you cause to other’s property or people. It protects you against claims from other people. It does not cover damage to your own property or vehicle.
It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. You might see policy limits of 25/50/25 that translate to $25,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a per accident bodily injury limit of $50,000, and property damage coverage for $25,000.
Liability can pay for claims like repair bills for other people’s vehicles, loss of income, attorney fees and medical expenses. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is your choice, but consider buying as high a limit as you can afford. Oklahoma requires drivers to carry at least 25/50/25 but drivers should carry better liability coverage.
The illustration below demonstrates why the minimum limit may not be enough coverage.
Cheap auto insurance is out there
While you’re price shopping online, don’t be tempted to skimp on coverage in order to save money. In too many instances, someone sacrificed liability coverage limits and found out when filing a claim that it was a big mistake. The aim is to purchase plenty of coverage for the lowest price, but do not skimp to save money.
Insureds leave their current company for a variety of reasons including policy non-renewal, denial of a claim, an unsatisfactory settlement offer or unfair underwriting practices. Whatever your reason, finding a new company is not as hard as you think.
Throughout this article, we presented quite a bit of information on how to reduce Honda Clarity insurance car insurance rates online in Oklahoma City. The key thing to remember is the more rate comparisons you have, the better chance you’ll have of finding affordable Oklahoma City car insurance quotes. Consumers may even find the best price on auto insurance is with a small mutual company.
- Child Safety Seats (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for Young Drivers in Oklahoma City? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Rates for a 20 Year Old Male in Oklahoma City? (FAQ)
- Warning systems don’t curb driver distraction (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- What Determines the Price of My Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)